Goddesses: Yemoya, Aphrodite, Venus, Oshun
Gods: Poseidon, Neptune, Lord Varuna
Zodiac Signs: Scorpio, Pisces, Cancer
Last up in our Energetics of Elemental Magick series, we dive into the depths of the West to the element of Water and the Emotional Realm.
Flowing river, raging tsunami, healing ocean, pouring rain…
Through water we are healed and born again.
As the old saying goes, we have to feel to heal, and that’s exactly what this element urges us to do.
Whenever we submerge ourselves in water, it is there to effortlessly support us. Surrounded in the Ocean Mother’s embrace, we are held as we release what is no longer needed.
Sometimes the water comes unexpectedly to help us clear, purify, and wash away our fears – always with the reminder to hold ourselves in loving compassion.
It is through this element that we access the unseen and come into mystical states of being. It is deeply connected to the moon, our intuition, and the heart center.
In the Yin expression of Water, we wade in our compassion and empathy. We feel our deepest feelings and give them space to be expressed. We enter the mystery and hold the key to ancient secrets. It is through the portal of the ecstatic heart that we explore the depths of our humanity and divinity.
In the Yang expression, we have the ability to hold deep space for others with penetrative presence and intense soul connection. We have the ability to see the unseen and anchor in Source consciousness. There is no fear in traversing the subconscious realm and accessing the depths of our emotions.
Calling upon Water, we access our vulnerability and tenderness. This element is intimately tied to our blessed hearts in all of our sensitivities. It is anything but weak. This is the element we invoke when we need to connect to our deepest purpose and when we wish to preserve that which we hold sacred.
To tap into the energy of Water, always make space to feel your emotions. You cannot run and hide from them or they will subconsciously control you. Give them room to arise without judgement. You hold lifetimes of pain, rage, and grief in your body – there is no need to question why you need to let it all out from time to time.
How to Connect with Water
- Drink it! You can charge your water under the Full Moon or simply whisper your intentions over your glass before you take a sip.
- Spend time near the ocean, lakes, rivers, or other bodies of water. If you don’t live near any large body of water, you can always look at pictures or travel to them in your mind’s eye. Send gratitude to these places for their healing properties and ask them for their guidance and wisdom so you can come into greater healing and wholeness.
- Throw a tantrum, sob, and let your emotions out! Water is all about release.
- Take a ritual bath. Epsom salt is a great base to cleanse and purify, and you can add different herbs and essential oils depending on your intention. Take deep breaths and allow yourself to relax, knowing you are held and safe and your biggest dreams are on their way to being realized.
- Connect with the cycles of the moon. The moon influences the ocean’s tides and both are reflections of our intuitive, inner world. When you work with the cycles of the moon, you will come to know yourself from the inside out.
For more tangible ways to connect with this element, check out the video below: